Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Clash of The Titans: Postponed

Hey Bloggers,
This is my first post for, The Flag is Up, and I’d like to quickly introduce myself. The name’s JoeyB and I am a stick-in-the-mud Manchester United fan. I mainly like United because I am a huge fan of the players that did and do play there such as, Cantona, Beckham, Giggs, Howard, Ronaldo, Scholes, Evra, Van Der Sar and Rooney. Of course there are many more, but those are just some of the greats. I will post a lot about United, and most likely be bias, but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep you all updated on the rest of the soccer world. Anyways, let’s get started with the real reason I’m writing this post.

Waking up to a text from my fellow blogger, T Will which stated the rescheduling of the clash of the season, Manchester United taking on Chelsea F.C. was the worst feeling this morning. Last season, Chelsea took the premier league title along with the F.A. Cup. The Red Devils were runners up finishing one point away from the blues. Kicking off the start of the 2010/2011 season, Manchester beat Chelsea in the Community Shield 3-1 with goals from Valencia, Chicharito and Berbatov for United and Kalou for Chelsea. At the time it seemed United were going to turn things around this season, and so far they have, along with the downfall of Chelsea. This being said, Manchester recently defeated second place Arsenal and taking the 3 points from Chelsea would really prove themselves to being able to take on the rest of the league as well. On the other hand, on win for Chelsea will boost the confidence of the team to potentially bring themselves back for the title race.

Chelsea’s most recent game was against Totenham in which Drogba brought the team back from a goal down, but then couldn’t secure the lead when they were awarded a stoppage time penalty. Totenham goalie, Heurelho Gomes tackled Ramires. Drogba stepped up to take it, but Gomes blocked the tackle and the game ended a tie shortly after that. In a similar case, Wayne Rooney missed a penalty for United against Arsenal in their last game. The only difference was Manchester’s triumph wasn’t affected by the miss. Both players have recently come back to the squad, Rooney from physical rehab and Drogba because of malaria. Even though, these are two of the best players in the world right now, and they should have been able to score without any excuses. These two incidents make it hard to predict who has the better chance in the clash of the Reds and Blues, but on paper, Manchester definitely has a better chance.
-JoeyB

2 comments:

  1. hey bloggers this is my first time blogging so i would like to introduce myself. My name is Nicholas Andrew White and I am a soccer fan from Kansas my favorite players are Ali Dia, Massimo Taibi, and Stephane Guiv’arch.

    I think that as good as drogba is he is on his decline and he should move his soccer playing abilities to westhampton or one of the various power houses from liga K. But as i said if he stays at chelsea he will be outshined by many players including Yuri Zhirkov and Fabio Borini. to avoid this fate he should again as i said move his talents or lack there of to liga K

    -N WHIZZZY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Joe, you look very well read on this topic. I'm personally partial to Man. United, but I'm still looking forward to a great footy game. I'm expecting a better game from Rooney this time, and it will be interesting to see what Drogba brings to the table in the upcoming game.

    ReplyDelete